PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MS Word and complex documents
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2006, 08:26
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
MS Word and complex documents

Has anybody else seen or solved this problem?

I'm running two versions of MS Word (both under XP). At home I have 2000, at work I have 2003, I take documents back and forth quite regularly using a pen-drive. So far so good.

Word 2000 has this deeply irritating bug. With a more complex document (by which I mean full of tables, pictures, Excel and Powerpoint inserts, document automation and so on), from time to time it refuses to save it, claiming that every disk drive available is full. I can read the document, print it, even paste it into an Email (but not send as an attachment), but can't save the damned thing - forcing me to close and lose my edits. The current document that's giving me the problem is about 2˝Mb, the drives I have respectively have about 400Mb and 50Gb of spare space.

Word 2003 does not do this.

I suspect that I may have to bite the bullet and buy a copy of Word 2003 for home, but for all other purposes what I have at home is absolutely fine.

Needless to say, my copy of MS Office (and Win.XP) has all the relevant service packs and bug fixes uploaded and installed from Microsoft's website. Which made no difference whatsoever.

Thoughts anybody?

G