PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline/Airport Relationship
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 23:51
Kapella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline/Airport Relationship

I was wondering what sort of issues airlines and airports have with each other from an operational and financial point of view.

Is there anyone out there who could give me an idea of what can cause disagreements, disruption, and friction?

After all, as well as the passengers, airlines are the airports’ customers yet I sometimes get the feeling that airlines’ needs can often be ignored by airports especially when it comes to new developments like a new terminal or making changes to the existing terminal.

If an airline contributes to the cost of developing a terminal it gives them more power to influence the airport to suit their needs but I am curious about situations where this does not occur.

Apart from landing fee negotiations, what problems do airlines encounter at airports? If airlines are not part of the planning process or their input is too low then how can their needs be met? An example might be lack of sufficient office/crew space in a new development due to lack of consultation. I have come across airports where relations with airlines are appalling!

I’m sure there are examples of good relations with airports and if anyone has experience of that I’d also like to hear. It can’t all be bad!

There’s no need to name airports or airlines in any replies. I’m simply curious about the interface between airlines and airports in general.