PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - just starting ppl
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 10:53
Zulu Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: just starting ppl

Let me clarify what I meant by busy.
In the UK all flying training must be at a licenced airfiield which has to have air traffic control by radio. Therefore anywhere you train in the UK whether it is busy or quiet will have air traffic control.
In the US it is different. You can train at an airfield without air traffic control. Sometimes the airfield operator has a ground radio, sometimes not. All you do is self announce and possibly talk to other pilots. Training at an airfield like this does not prepare you well for handling the workload at busy airports. What I would recomend is training at an airfield where they have air traffic control from a control tower. This will only be at busier airports, which is what you want.
Some US schools may say they don't have a manned tower but that they do go to airfields which have towers to give you experience. I don't think this is as good. Doing RT while flying whilst looking out for traffic requires a lot of practise to get good at. Flying in this environment for all your training is very very valuable. Some schools will tell you that the advantage of quieter airfields is that there will be less delays but I think overall the busier airport is the best option.
I hope this clarifies what I meant. I do appreciate this is a matter of opinion.