PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 09:58
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost in Alcohol.....?

Well LOC*, this may be controversial, but I wouldn't approach your GP. The reason I say this is because

1) Chances are he isn't going to be much direct use and will only tell you to go see somebody else.
2) You will get a nasty line in your notes which may haunt you later.

I only say this because by posting here you know you have a problem and so should be supported until you get over it. Had you turned up to fly under the effects of alcohol (drunk or hungover) I'd not say the same, in fact I'd lock you up.

What I'd do when you get back home is call an anonymous service like Drunkline (0800 917 8282). They have people on the end of the phone who can start you off. There are plenty of community based services to help you get over your problem, but you need to be clear that you need to do this yourself. Google searches will come up with lots of possibile places to approach.

As you are a contract pilot you can also think about stopping flying for a bit. You claim you don't fly when suffering from the effects of alcohol but I don't believe you. It seems that your job makes you turn to the booze so have a break, it will probably make you feel better anyway. So I'd get help now while people still have sympathy for your plight and get back to your career when you have sorted yourself out. Good luck.