PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Seniority Joke
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 02:58
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Qantas Seniority Joke

Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
Do you have to be a member to get a seniority number?
No.

Originally Posted by High Octane
You get a number the day you join QF. This has always been the case, and always should under the present system.
This has NOT always been the case. I can think of a few examples over the last decade or so where numbers have been put aside for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they involved people being pushed back, other times it involve people leaping forward by a bunch of numbers.

I'll stick my hand up as one of the 'ex cadets' that HO refers to. My point on Qrewroom wasn't about how a deal on numbers was done, it was about whether it 'fits' with the general principles of what I've always understood seniorority to be- and it certainly isn't always based on the day you join otherwise I'd be about a half dozen numbers senior to what I am now!

I don't know why QF wanted this LOA the way it was or why AIPA agreed to it in the manner that they did. I do know that if QF wanted the cadets to have number a number and then send them elsewhere then they can do that without too many dramas- I know they can because there was no LOA covering the six or so that started up to three years behind me but who are now senior. (I should also note that I agree entirely with the methodology utilised that involves those six now being senior to me....they should be!).

I can however sympathise with the way that information has been disseminated about the issue. Seeing your seniority number increase (in a bad way) by 20 or so numbers without knowing why is never pleasant and it'd be nice if 'someone' could have explained why.

As for the issue of being able to coment on Qrewroom, well there are things that you can say on Qrewroom that will get you tea, biccies and a target on your back and then there are threads like this one! If you reckon opinions such as you've expressed here would make you a target then I'm not sure how I've managed to survive the last six years of being registered on Qrewroom. This is tame compared to some opinions expressed over time. I think you're taking that part of it all a bit too seriously!