PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old
Old 11th Jan 2006, 19:32
flown-it

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old

I can't find the thread running last year which visited this topic ad naseum.It's all been said before but just to add realism to the kick-em -out corp here is my story...and I know hundreds are like me.
I knew when at age 42 I got my airline seat that in 18 years I would have to hang it up. Since this was a second career change I had already made plans via a private portable pension.
At age 57 I got the news that my financial advisor had cocked up my pension and the well known British firm was washing their hands of it. Oh sh$t at least I've got my 18 year pension coming in 2004. Think again. 2 days prior to my 59th the airline succeeded in terminating our pension. Now I get a stipend from the quasi government organisation set up to protect mill workers but not airline pilots. So with teenagers to educate and a pension 60% less than promised I was out on the street. At almost 62, I'm fit, I'm well and I occasionally fly right seat in a VERY big and VERY expensive jet but I'm not where I should be.... the left seat of an airliner.
Finally I'm not bitching. I have a full time job in the aviation industry and I'll survive. It just burns me that those whining the loudest will be able to fly to a normal pension age.