PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today's Pilot Article: IMC in Helicopters
Old 11th Jan 2006, 19:19
markflyer6580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Today's Pilot Article: IMC in Helicopters

I think the problem with adding on an imc to a ppl course would be asking for trouble,if you did it in minimums,you would have 60hrs tt when finished.
Asking for trouble when people with so few hours start their first local flight with freinds by going in to cloud panicking and ending up in a field.

I have 70 ish hours now and would be happy to start imc but at 45hrs I don't think I would have.
High Wing Drifter You could have a point with slimming the syllabus though,isn't this why spinning was taken out-so as not encourage people to try it? The basic instrument stuff in the ppl is only meant to help you do a 180 out of the cloud,but how do you not see it in the first place during the day? So this could maybe be binned (prepares for flak from somewhere )

IO540 Got to agree with you there!My instructor did care about my training and Wherever possible we did some extra instrument stuff including SRA,ILS,VOR tracking etc mainly because I am on my way to fatpl and it all helps.I do feel alot more confident and safer now especially night flying due to these extra bits of training I am happy on instruments,quite useful for night rating. If I did manage to get myself in the sh1t I would like to think that my 180 out of cloud would be safe rather than panicked