PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2006, 17:22
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Laser Eye Surgery

I'm no eye surgeon but...

One of the after effects of LASIK is that your eye has to readjust to the 'new' lens and so the pupil and controlling muscles have to recalibrate for want of a better word.

This means that in the dark (or in any high contrast environment - e.g. office lighting) your pupil, at it's most extensive, may be larger / smaller than necessary to allow the 'new' lens to focus all the light on the retina and so a blurring effect can occur.

I was told this would last for about 2 weeks. At first I accepted it. I had the op in the summer so night driving was limited - and I wouldn't recommend it. For me the blurring lasted six weeks or so and I did start to get concerned that this may be permenant, then the focus at night became pin-sharp as my eye finally adjusted.

Again, not as an expert, I would expect this could be fixed if the eye was re-scanned and LASIK'd. I recall during my scanning and pre-op there was great care taken to measure the pupil at maximum dilation. I was told not to drive for 24hours after the initial eye scans as drops are put in to relax the iris. Go outside in daytime after that and everything is blindingly bright, a look in the mirror shows the iris fully open.

With regards Class I or other medicals. There are certain aspects of your prescription which are taken into consideration BEFORE your LASIK treatment so it is best to check with an AME first before proceeding as the treatment may leave you with fantastic vision but you could still fail to meet the grade due to your pre-op prescription.