PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best Firewall & Virus Checker ?
Old 11th Jan 2006, 16:47
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which is the best Firewall & Virus Checker ?

AVG Plus Firewall Edition - http://www.grisoft.com/doc/AvgPlusFw...?prd=afw.1.0.0 - gets my vote and then some.
Much better value than Norton (2 years for the price of one), less intrusive, uses less resources - generally IMHO a better program overall. I've only got one machine still on Norton and when the contract runs out then I'll switch it to AVG.
Furthermore, AVG provides a free basic AV that isn't bad for folks who can't afford one of the commercial offerings and so I think deserves thanks and support.
The Windows firewall, even in SP2, is pretty basic and only watches traffic coming in, not traffic going out (as would be generated by a worm). But it's better than nothing and free for all you MS fanboyz.
A true independent router + firewall is still the best bet (I like Netgear). The default settings are pretty good, but you can also lock it down as tight as a mouse's earhole.
Avoiding Incompetent Exploder by using Firefox or Opera (I'm becoming quite an Opera fan) and using an alternative email client (Thunderbird or Opera) makes life in general a lot safer.