PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2006, 13:31
Faire d'income
I call you back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CORK

Lads your loyalty to ORK is commendable if naive.

As I've said here before Cork has done very well considering the terrible hand it was dealt.

Regular transatlantic flights from ORK is a nice idea but I reckon a long way off. The disruption to an operator caused by a TA diversion can take days to recover. We have pointed out many reasons why ORK isn't suitable but still the dream persists.

A Mach 76 aircraft on the track system would be a big problem but not unsurmountable, particularly if many such aircraft started doing crossings. They might ultimately get a level for themselves at 76 but that would be a long way off. A better idea would be clever scheduling to just miss the tracks.

Talk of Boston and New York being 1000 and 800 miles short of the range of an A319 is a bit like planning your season on Ronan O'Gara hitting all half way penalty kicks against the wind.

To be seriously considered Cork needs a parallel taxiway for 17/35 ( a very very basic requirement ). Secondly and more importantly it needs a long east/west runway with year round, reliable Cat II ( at least ). Belfast is Cat IIIB and has 4 useable runways for heavies FFS.