PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion incident at CDG 10/01/06?
Old 11th Jan 2006, 12:08
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Runway incursion incident at CDG 10/01/06?

I used to operate a lot ( ie 10 x / week) into CDG and in spite of a liason with a cutie in the tower ,I have to say that in comparison with most major E uropean ATC they were crap;as the Concorde accident proved they don't spend enough time looking out the window ,they rely (and don't understand the limitations of) on ground radar and generally their finger is somewhere other than on the pulse. I have landed there and taxied almost to stand before being given a retrospective clearance to do something I now couldn't do etc etc, I once saw a very nasty airmiss on radar whilst visiting the " room in the clouds" they inhabit, and no-one bloody batted an eyelid, seemed they were well used to it.I still transit their airspace periodically and the scares ( whilst a little less scary with TCAS ) are just as frequent as I remember 10 years ago. Using one language would help, but the major problem is the mentality that thinks setting up a conflict, which will be later resolved ,is more smart than doing it in a slightly more methodical prudent way.Oh ,and I can't see that having one controller doing ( as they do sometimes after 2200) tower and Departures ( inc from RYR Paris BVA) can be in any way safe.