PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion incident at CDG 10/01/06?
Old 11th Jan 2006, 11:00
FLEXPWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Runway incursion incident at CDG 10/01/06?

Hi there,
Just looks like another incident, once more caused by language differences.
I know the French like very much to speak French anytime they can, and on their on "territory" they just feel they are entitled to do so. Actually they are. I don't know what it will take to get all pilots to speak english but I think most french do not want to speak english not so much because of a language pride, but because many are uncomfortable and actually do not know english that well.
I remember once I was on stand in EDI waiting for a clearance, when I hear a french voice from a B737 Charter flight calling for DEP Clearance as well. The controller replied no flight plan had been filed, and that they would have to contact their handling agent. No reply. The ATC asks: "who is your ground handling agent in Edinburgh?" and the pilot to reply: "Errrr...Yes."
Of course it is just a little anecdote, but it goes the same way for runway incursions, landing clearances etc...
It can become very frustrating when ATC speaks a second language on the air, and if ATC makes a mistake, the pilots don't get a chance to spot it unless they are fluent and alert for that specific call.