PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old
Old 11th Jan 2006, 10:50
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old

I'm one that had to retire at 60. Knowing this, I topped up my pension pot for a number of years with extra payments (foregoing fancy holidays and fancy new cars along the way) and by renewing lapsed ratings a couple of years before the blow fell.
Why did I do this ? Because I'd wanted to fly for as long as I can remember and I didn't want to stop then just because some misconstrued law said I had to.
Now, at 67, I still teach, examine and regularly pull plus 7 and minus 3 and I'm having a ball. And I don't intend to stop yet just.

The difference between Handflying and myself is that I enjoy flying and it doesn't end with the airline job. My flying has been military, commercial instructing, airline ( 22 years command) and back to instructing again.

My one relief at being out of the airline business is that I don't have to fly with misfits like Handfly any more.
Listening to such distractions over a number of sectors are likely to cause more accidents than any 60+ year old skipper.

Last edited by Sleeve Wing; 11th Jan 2006 at 11:01.