PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A340-300 incident @ JoBurg. Report is public
Old 11th Jan 2006, 07:17
Streamline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Emirates A340-300 incident @ JoBurg. Report is public

Originally Posted by vapilot2004
I've looked in all of the usual places. I wanted to post the link after reading it myself - but no luck thus far.
One thing of interest I didn't know was that the Emirates A340's came by way of !! Boeing from SN. (part of a 777 deal with SN to takeover the A343's they had)
Poor poor training !

Elaborate please, very unclear what you want to point out here.

The report states that the crew did a magnificent job when recovering directional control of the aircraft during the landing roll after they became aware that they had lost complete braking due to ANTISKID failure.

I agree with that but one must look at the reason why they got into such a situation. Again, I contribute this to poor training.

One of the main objectives of training is to focus on the weak spots a certain Aircraft design has and it’s consequences.

Today’s Aircraft design is based on high performance engines, wings and light weight. However these advantages can not be used when they are not matched with very effective braking technology.

As a consequence the penalties on landing and take off with ANTISKID inoperative are often the highest.

In other words; when one looks at a single failure that has the biggest consequences on landing performance; ANTISKID is very high up in the list; often more restrictive than flaps up landing.

These issues need to be pointed out in training and should be known by hart.

I would even urge the manufacturers to publish advisory tables on landing distances (deceleration till about 80 kts) using reversers only or at least demonstrate it in the sim. Often it is stated that the crew should use sound judgement. These tables would be useful tool for any condition where braking is seriously impaired for whatever reason.

Last edited by Streamline; 11th Jan 2006 at 09:33.