PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Other Careers ???
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2006, 16:37
buster172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Other Careers ???

Hi,

Every situation is different but I know someone who got a job after the age of 50, yes they had a lot of instructing and general aviation experience but it was there first airline job so I wouldn’t be to put out by the fact your 33. I know a handful of others who have found work recently around your age, and I’m not that far behind you!

I think (you asked for opinions) that with hard work, perseverance and a little luck if you want something bad enough you will make it happen. That’s how I'm doing it. It hasn’t been easy so far and it’s only set to get harder but I'm sure it will be worth it.

To answer your question about jobs, the things I am aware of outside 'airline' flying could include, with the appropriate hours

Air taxi work, flight instruction, not just PPL but IMC, NIGHT, CPL, ME and IR. You could fly floats, aerial photography, Fisheries protection (airline operated I believe) banner towing, glider towing (often poorly paid, if at all) Parachute drop aircraft, Ferry flights, Business jets, general aviation and I'm sure a whole host of other flying opportunities if you want them for a range of hours and pay.

I am committed to the loan repayments I have to make and this rules out some of the other flying, long term at least but I do hope to fly a range of aircraft and different tasks in the future. Starting at the bottom and working my way up.

You'll surely get a few more responses but in the mean time good luck with the exams, it’s a long hard slog but worth all the effort when you start you’re CPL.

All the best,

Buster