PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniforms, why?
Thread: Uniforms, why?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2006, 13:03
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uniforms, why?

Hmm....

I have done a number of flying courses at a number of different schools - PPL, IMC, Night, CPL, FIC, Multi-engine, IR, MCC, and a couple of others. Only one of these schools made me wear a uniform. My attitude towards all the other courses that I've done was no less professional than it was on the course where I had to wear a uniform; on the contrary, I have tried my best to have a professional attitude towards all of my flying, including my flying training - and that includes the time before I decided to become a "Wannabe" when I thought that flying was only ever going to be a hobby for me.

Now I'm an instructor at a school where students do not wear uniforms. The vast majority of my students have a good, professional attitude towards flying, despite the fact that most of them have no intention of being professional pilots. The small minority who do not have a professional attitude do not get maximum benefit from their flying - they arrive for their lesson 15 minutes late, then have a cup of tea before they'll be briefed. They won't come in when the weather's bad even if there are exams to study for or long briefings to be given. And then when, after many more hours than necessary because they don't think about flying when they are away from the aircraft, they are finally ready to go solo, they find that they can not, because they have not done the Air Law exam, despite the fact that we have been telling them to do it for, in some cases, the best part of a year.

Would wearing a shirt really make any difference to these people??? Or is it purely for the benefit of the school, in an attempt to improve its appearance to visitors?

FFF
----------------