PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2006, 02:13
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns

A thread which I am following with some interest ...

Overtalk,

I don't know your background but it is obvious that you are passionate about your topic and that is a good thing.

However, it may be useful to draw your attention to one point in particular ..

PPRuNe is very fortunate to have a wide range of folk participating in the sandpit and we include some VERY experienced, competent, and knowledgeable technical people. We have, for example, engineering folk who hold university Chairs (one of whom posts with reasonable frequency), quite a number of folk with PhDs, folk who have long track records in engineering design, certification, etc., test pilots and flight test engineers who are eminent in their disciplines, and so the list goes on ....

(a) MFS, for instance, is one such engineer who works for a major aircraft manufacturer. One dismisses his technical comments out of hand at one's peril.

(b) alf5071h, for instance, demonstrates great knowledge and is well credentialed in the human factors arena, in particular. Again, one dismisses his comments out of hand at one's peril.

I only mention these particular posters as I don't know the others ...

Are you, by any chance, falling into the trap of viewing the nosewheel to ground interface as being more of a tied-together mechanism than a tenous conjoining of two surfaces (alf5071h raises this point in his post) ?

I ask this only because you appear uncomfortable with the idea of a low proportion of aircraft weight being on the nosewheel. While this might vary a little, I have to agree with MFS on the 5-10 percent ... and I have done probably more loading statics calculations than all the posters in this thread put together several times over.

Yes, of course the CG moment about the mains under braking muddies the water and one has to look at the overall moment balance .. but, given enough tail force (however much that may be) ... the nose must break ground.