PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old
Old 9th Jan 2006, 19:15
H.Finn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old

Handflying, you are blaming pilots who are willing to work until 65 for bad planning of their economies. Likewise, a kid whose famlily has paid 100K for the said kid's ATPL, is guilty of bad choice of career, if he can't find a job as pilot. 911 or not, there still are a lot more job opportunities for pilots today than there were decades ago. That is, if you are willing to start from bottom and work your way up.
65 is indeed a magical number, because in several countries that is the age when you are entitled to be paid a pension. Unless you have made financial arrangements of your own, you'll get nothing between the time you choose to quit and the day you reach that magical age. Several reasons for not being able to make those arrangenments have been given on this thread already, many or most of them beyond the individual's own control.
Dani, I don't imply that I am myself able to decide that I'm good enough for my job. That is exactly why we have medical checks, sim checks, line checks etc. I for one do not have a buddy to chat with as a doctor. And you say "if it goes up to 65". FYI it already has gone up there, at least in most of the JAA world, so you are too late.

Again: how could it be anybody else's business when an individual decides to quit? Just wait, young fellows, you'll be 40, 50 and 60 sooner than you realise.