PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 9th Jan 2006, 17:24
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: V22 Osprey fails OPEVAL

Hi all,

my view on the Osprey is whatever I heard/read in the past years on it, I am not a US-taxpayer, so I am just surprised on what s**t citizens take from their government.

Nick, one question:
On your comparison.pdf - page 26, the graph puts
tilt-wing below tilt-rotor on an efficiency scale.
My uneducated opinion was, that they a pretty equal - the tiltrotor having an edge on maneuverbility as it needs a complete rotor control over a tiltwing, that might get away with a pitch control only and using flaps on the wings in the downwash - probably less effective though.
Efficiencywise I thought them equal, with the wing having an edge as the wing is streamlined with the downwash.
What's the explanation?

To the V-22:

What I don't get is that (supposedly) the V-22 should be able to go into a hot LZ WITHOUT cover, but has NOTHING to shoot forward/sideways - how is that going to work?
If it was decided that it will go in WITH cover after all, where is all the (supposed) speed-advantage, if the V-22 has to wait or slow down for its cover (Apaches or Cobras presumable), and all the rest of disadvantages hit again....

It's amazing how blatantly ignorant people are, even when the lives of their own troops are at stake!! You think the very doctrine of the Marines would put the lives of their own units before anything else - well I guess money speaks just louder.....

I guess some V-22s could be used for Special Forces ops, IF they start to rip out all the folding gear, replace it with Fast-assembly-moduls. This would save tons (literately) of weight and still keep the machines transportable to some hot spots around the world.

I still find it amazing that not ever anybody pulled the plug on this....

Oh well, USA, the land of limitless opportunities - anything is possible!!

3top