PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we always re-engineer our aircraft??
Old 9th Jan 2006, 16:13
WebPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why do we always re-engineer our aircraft??

Originally Posted by pr00ne
BEagle,
I wasn’t “sneering” at the so called Golden age, we were just never as good as we told others we were.
I disagree with this evaluation. The British industry was successful in selling large numbers of aircraft beyond the Vampire - Meteors, Hunters. I am sure that their successor types would also have found markets had the political meddling of the mid 50s to mid 60s not occurred. The industry was producing aircraft of world class and had the will been there it could have competed with the US. It is a fact that the stalling British economy was a drag factor but given the huge profits that could have been made, this should not be seen as a de facto reason for pulling the plug on the industry.

The B52 continues in service because it can continue to perform a useful function, despite its age, in today's world - and there is little to suggest that the Vulcan could not have also, had it survived in service beyond the ending of the Cold War. Obviously a re-ngining with more modern engines (a la B52H) would clearly have been much more difficult, if not impossible, with the Avro though. However had the Cold War continued beyond 1990 it is unlikely that the B52 would still be in service today - B52s over Iraq in 1990 were one thing, over Mother Russia it would have been something very different.

Why there is this continuing need to diminish the acheivements of this country is utterly beyond me.