PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old
Old 9th Jan 2006, 00:12
touch_of_glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old

I'm only 36, have been flying professionally for nearly 6 years and have 3000 odd hours.....feels like a lifetime already! I hope I don't have to go another 25-30 years! I think a lot of people cling on as long as they can because the pay is good (you earn more in your last 10 years than the first 20) and the pension provisions are increasingly bad. Highly extrapolated pay scales and the dreaded seniority list are tools that airlines use to keep pilots in their place and stop them from "carrier hopping" (the longer you stay, the harsher it is to leave) If a pilot can pass the medicals, checks etc then there should be no age limit, he/she is doing the job just as well as before, but airlines like to retire people prematurely so they can recruit new crew on lower salary, or even B or C scales. Going off on a slight tangent I know, but the entire career would be a better place to be if all salaries were the same for a particular rank within a particular company (and set at a sensible amount for a professional job). Fantasy I know, but new recruits would get be able to pay off their training debts a lot faster, have some cash for a quality of life and older pilots would not have to go on into their 60's "making hay while the sun is still shining" in order to get a better pension.