PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old
Old 8th Jan 2006, 18:53
handflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stop The Law Project To Let Pilot Work Until 65 Years Old

Wizofoz,

As far as I know nobody started as a Cpt in aviation; when upgrades are done there must be places available. When an F/O moves it is only to the LH seat (not in the jumpseat) and his place as f/o becomes free: that's the chain!! And the chain depends on world economy AND these kind of decisions, changes in rules being made (Agree totally with "lifecontract" of Dani and sky9: 60 years almost since beginning of aviation).

It is just unfair for the younger ones: world economy has allways been good untill about 5 years ago (type-ratings were almost allways paid for; few people were having to work abroad; upgrades were done within a reasonable amount of time). Younger guys have had a tough time last 5 years: 9/11, majors collapse, paycuts, bonds, upgrades now all at the sudden postponed maybe by another 5 years?

For myself Wizofoz I am trying to prepare retirement asap (hopefully well before 60!) because the generation after me is even far worse off then me and that for the benefit of the job in it as a whole worries me.

Just thinking about those to come more then myself. (how many people with an ATPL licence obtained in the last 5 years have never gotten a job in aviation? I know lots of them, and they would still join if they could...maintain their licence...do I have to give up my post for them? Don't think so, especially when I am sitting next to someone who has allways believed 60 was going to be the limit). Even being a good guy I grant another year or two, but not 5! Very sorry.

For better times...