PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lefties...
Thread: Lefties...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2006, 14:26
Thridle Op Des

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lefties...

Another variation is moving from Rotary to Fixed-Wing. As a left hander, flying a helicopter seemed work out especially when operating as a single pilot, being able to make notes which are ledgible subsequent to the clearance. I was fortunate to transition to the Airbus fleet on the right hand seat on the 320/321 and now the 330/340. Airbus were very considerate and equipped these with a cyclic, which acts rather like a Bell 212 with Duplex SFENA, i.e. the inputs are transparent, it feels like you select an attitude which is maintained (actually its a 'G' command in pitch and a rate in roll, but just to give a idea). There is no collective but the speed selects are mounted upside down on the center console and work in pretty much the same way. The interesting bit is changing seats to the right, the whole arrangement is a mirror image and hands need to be retrained. Adaptation is interesting for the first few hours, but seems to smooth out in due course.

Trouble they don't hover very well.

I think the brain is an amazing organ and its ability to adapt with either a right or left dominant hemisphere.

Last edited by Thridle Op Des; 8th Jan 2006 at 14:43.