PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2006, 12:05
Flashdance9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UAS 's to close (Merged)

I think the new system needs a while to run before any serious comment can be made. What is positive is that it is now an organisation which opens the world of flying/aviation to young people- just as Trenchard originally envisioned. None of this we have to get X numbers of people up to OASC or X pilots finishing EFT. Just openly and honestly a ‘look see opportunity’ into flying and the military (and with the lower medical standards etc).

I was on a University Air Squadron and left once the new changes took effect in November. I had an awesome time on my UAS, probably the best 2 years of my life.

Having said that, I think it's obvious that from now on it's all down hill. My biggest issue with the system is the fact that whilst students lose the pressure of 'flying' and EFT whilst at university; even more pressure is put on the senior students to make the squadrons run effectively, now that staff numbers will have dropped from about 6 to 1! Organsing activities, camps, sports, adventurous training; transport, town nights and the list goes on………….

As a senior student you’re likely to be in the last year at university- which often counts for the most towards your degree; consequently you want to do the best you can. Now that EFT does not exist, neither does the mentality of focus on flying (get good scores = streaming) and settle for a 2.2 (pilots degree). For those of us who are not Bursars and faced with the poor intake at OASC, we have no guarantee of a future with the RAF. Therefore attaining nothing less than a 2.1 becomes the new priority, and remaining on a UAS is no longer productive.

The changes for me illustrated here, on the UAS level the changes/downsizing future of the RAF. For me this has a negative impact. I just cant see the future that I originally envisioned a few years ago.
All you have to do is read the comments in the 'why are people leaving in droves' thread.

The UAS system will sadly be gone within the next few years - or redistributed amongst the other services; university naval units etc... It only survived the 2005 chop through the skin of it's teeth.

I cant see how the bean counters can justify the UAS system under the current climate. It is a great recruitment tool- but the RAF doesn’t need to recruit pilots- it will always have a steady flow of wannabes to it's doors without UAS's. What they need to do is focus more on the ground branches like engineers. They should never of changed the system in 1995.

Referring to the comments of students becoming attracted to other careers like airlines BA etc – very true. I’m very sure that current bursars are planning for a career change after 12/16 yrs! But I think ultimately you have to look at the bigger picture of why are high quality students attracted away from careers in Aviation and towards business, finance & IT??
I did leave as I do now see entrepreneurism as a more attractive future.

I hope that UAS’s stay, mine did me very well. I wish that other students will be able to experience many of the opportunities which I have been so fortunate to receive.

But are they financially viable? (political persuasion just wont work, not in today’s climate)