PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2006, 10:20
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?

First of all let me state that I have no first hand knowledge of the situation. However, as an outsider it seems to me quite simple. The ex mil pilots are working for a civillian company. They are now civillians and should be regarded as such, the fact that they are ex military is irrelevant! Unless there is a no strike clause in their contract they have every right under UK law to take industrial action after following certain procedures. While we in the miltary might not agree or approve of their actions, they are free to take them, and we in the military are paid to defend their 'right' to do so! They due not owe the military any loyalty by the mere fact they are 'ex-military'!

Terms and conditions change with time, probably faster in the civillian world, and conditions that seemed acceptable a few years ago may not seem so now. As to the idea that employees shouldn't break contracts, employers do on a regular basis. If the pilots in question have followed the proper industrial procedures for legal strike action then it is their right to do so!

As to how much they are paid, I don't know, and that too is irrelevant. Many people in many walks of life are overpaid for what they do, footballers, barristers, dare I say it airline pilots, and many underpaid, teachers, etc. If they price themselves out of the market by excessive wage demands then that is the way of a capitalist society.

Agree or disagree with the morals of their actions if you must, but from what I have read here it appears to me they have the 'right' to take the actions they are! Oh yes, I should add at this point that my political views are NOT left wing!!

I wait to be contradicted.........