PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amberley Airshow CANCELLED
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2001, 11:18
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

This came to me by way of an Air Force Cadets contact.

MEDIA RELEASE

MAJOR EVENTS CANCELLED

Acting on the advice of the Chief of the Defence Force, Admiral Chris Barrie, I have agreed that both the Royal Australian Air Force 80th Anniversary Amberley Air Show and the Centenary Naval Review are to be cancelled.

The Amberley Air Show was to be held at RAAF Amberley Ipswich, QLD from Friday, the 28th of September to Sunday the 30th of September.

The Centenary Navy Review was to be held on and around Sydney Harbour from Tuesday, 2nd of October to Monday, 8th of October.

Substantial support for the RAAF 80th Anniversary Air Show was to be provided by the United States Military.

Understandably this support is now not available after the tragic events in America on September 11. As a consequence Amberley Air Show is no longer viable.

The decision to cancel the Centenary Naval Review was taken in light of the Royal Australian Navy’s involvement in existing operations and the potential for involvement in future operations.

We currently have a major Naval commitment in the north of Australia assisting other federal agencies with the Government’s initiatives for intercepting illegal immigrants.

I understand that many people and businesses will be disappointed these events have been cancelled however the Government believes it is wise, in all the circumstances, to give precedence to operational requirements over ceremonial matters.
I guess drinks are off too now! At least my wife is talking to me now that I'm not going!

[ 19 September 2001: Message edited by: Keg ]