PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Military Banter/Phrases
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2006, 19:41
adr

PPatRoN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best banter ever?

Stuck_in's post reminds me of this exchange in a branch of a company that sold outdoor pursuits equipment, reported with glee by someone who was there. I do know the actual names, but I'll change them.

Sandra is the assistant manager, well-respected among local organisations that provide adventure training. Eric is a newly-appointed operations manager, reporting to the company's board, and he's visiting the branch; he's the MD's golden-haired boy, and imagines he's going to shake up the company.

Although the shop opens at 0900, the staff at 0830 are sat around the staff-room table enjoying a before-we-start cuppa together (they're paid from 0900, but nobody's a clock-watcher).

Eric looks at his watch, and says, "Sandra, open up. Let's see if there's trade around at this time."
"Okay, I'll just finish my tea first."
"I didn't say finish your tea, I said open up. If you don't want your job, there's a million on the dole who'd like it."
Sandra stood up and reached into her bag for her keys. She tossed them onto the table in front of Eric, and said, "Find one of the buggers, then."

She left through the fire exit, without another word, before Eric's jaw had returned to its normal position.

By the end of the day, Eric had been obliged to drive to her house to apologise to her. She'd phoned the company secretary from home: he knew what an asset her contacts were.

adr