PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Job seniority
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2001, 13:11
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuttlecock,

I believe that our Harry is correct. City Flyer Pilots will not be made redundant before Pilots that joined at a date later than City Flyer 'date of joining'.

However what we need to do is to try and ensure that no Pilots are made redundant.

To do this we need to make temporary collective sacrifices.

Immediate cost savings could be made that could be used as a bargaining chip to prevent redundancies amongst our colleagues.

These cost savings would hopefully prevent our Airline failing.

Before the terrible events of last Tuesday we were all well aware why B.A. was in the financial state it was in.

It is no good in my opinion to harpe on about the fact that 'it isn't our fault'. Well of course it isn't. The fact is that B.A. are in an awful financial condition. So all talk of 'Well it was Bob and the Board that got us here' will not help.

I believe that now is the time to pull together for the sake of all our Airlines staff; let us remember it is not just Pilots who are facing grief here.

I am in favour of 'lending' cash to our Airline that will be repaid when certain agreed financial targets are met. This loan could take many forms, FHR, basic pay, or allowances; or a combination of the above.

These are obviously terrible times. And in these times it seems to me that we must look after each other. We must be prepared to make sacrifices that ensure all of our colleagues, Flight Crew and ground Crew alike, have a future. Now is not the time to be selfish.

Let us not forget however the collective drive we have to achieve market rates. When we place ourselves on the Management 'Altar' it would be quite right to remind them that we are acting to save the Airline and therefore save ourselves.

Any monies seen in profits should not be distributed to shareholders before the staff that made any profits possible.

The Board should lead all the staff in proving evidence of the cuts they have willingly given.

Cuts should be made in a proportion that those who recieve most should give the most. i.e Captains should be prepared to make a larger sacrifice than F/O's. Board members should certainly make the greatest sacrifice as not only do they earn the most but they have also overseen the most destructive Management experiment in our Airline history. It cannot be right that only the 'little people' pay.

Unless I see a lead from the top then I am prepared to see the whole lot founder.

These are very difficult times so please let us all try to pull together for the common good.

Regards
Exeng