PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Speed USB controller??
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2006, 16:12
shuttlebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: High Speed USB controller??

Cornish Jack,

Some of the issues with USB can be with respect to the drivers, either of the add-in card or the hardware itself.

I have an HP scanner that is extremely fussy, whether it is connected to..

1) Athlon, motherboard USB 2, WIndows 2K
2) PIII, add in card USB 2, XP Pro SP2
3) P-M, motherboard USB 2, XP PRo SP2

It is simply a fact that I must ensure that the scanner is turned on after the computer it is connected to and operate some things in a certain manner.

HP admit there is a software glitch, but there is known workaround.

Again, I have seen plenty of "cheaper brand" USB peripherals fall over, not becuase they are bad, simply that the driver that comes with it is not compatible with the hardware or set-up that someone has i.e. drivers clashing with camera software.

Generally however, I hope (maybe naively) that the more expensive manufacturers e.g. Belkin, will have had more R&D money to test a greater number of scenarios of hardware (Anyone remember the Microsoft approved lists that used to exist for NT and Win2K?) This is why I suggested Belkin to WCF - it worked for me and they are perceived to be reliable, if a little pricey.

Finally, have you tried re-installing WIndows? Over time the registry can become a real mess and lead to instabilities if you tend to install/unistall a lot of test/demo software. Perhaps a clean install may cure some issues?

Regards,

Shuttlebus