PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for spotters
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 21:24
Full Emergency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question for spotters

Originally Posted by ALLDAYDELI
the dark blue American manufactured truck

I suppose we could open up a very reasonable debate on how useful spotters around airport perimiters actually are... extra sets of eyes and ears and indeed useful for noting when there is unusual activity around the vicinity.
The big American truck thing is great fun to drive. I can't for security reasons explain excatly what it can or can not do, or what it is used for, for obvious reasons. That said, I think "The Times" tried to do an article on it a couple of years ago, and got numerous facts wrong about it.

I do agree that "enthusiasts" do prove an extra set of 'eyes and ears' however they have also been responsible for countless security call outs as HAL staff esp have feared that they may breach security in order to get a better view etc etc. The other problem is that nobody is concentrating on the actual security issues, just simply the planes as they fly over head. That's no use to anyone.

The other issue that we have is the airport bye-laws. They basically say that you should not be anywhere within the HAL area. This does include all the perimeter roads surrounding LHR.

My own personal opinion is that there should be a proper viewing area somewhere along the Northern Perimeter Road, where you can all go to. The problem with that is that there will still be people that will be climbing up on the perimeter fence elsewhere. The minority spoil it for the majority.

FE