PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CR Airways getting 737/787's!!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 17:58
chinapilot223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CR Airways getting 737/787's!!

I know a guy who is flying for Hainan. It is a little difficult to figure out exactly what the entire picture at Hainan is. It goes something like this.....................

Several years ago, Hainan Air Group was created (2001-2002?). HNA Group buys major interests in Xinhua, Shanxi, Chang An and Hainan. HNA Group also owns Yangtze River Express (Cargo and maybe PAX)) and Deer Jet (Charter). 10 years ago George Soros invests 25 million in Hainan. Last year Soros invests another 25 million.

Hainan Aircraft are all painted the same, White with blue tail (and logo on tail). However, the name on the aircraft depends on which airline it belongs (ed) to. Recent Hainan 800's have been delivered with Shanxi and Chang An painted on them.

Now comes CR Airways and the BIG Boeing order. HNA Group is (or has) buying 60-70 % of CR Airways. The HNA Group name will soon change to "Grand China Air" and will be a Hong Kong listed stock. This should preserve CR Airways awarded routes.

My friend believes future and present 800's will be based in Hong Kong VERY soon.

The Chinese aviation idustry is still a regulated market. The government controls routes AND airfares. The private startups like Okay, Spring and United Eagle are finding it difficult to operate low cost in a regulated market. Okay has already acknowledged this.

My friend believes HNA Group (Grand China Air) is a big favorate with the Chinese government and will continue to grow. Currently Hainan is the 4th largest Chinese Carrier. The AP is reporting a story that Hainan will fly Beijing to Boston this year. Cargo by summer and Pax by years end.

So.................................. if all this comes together you will see a new Chinese Airline called Grand China Air. They will operate from mainland China and Hong Kong. They will fly domestic and international. They will take delivery of the new B-787 and continue to acquire B737's. Hainan also has some A319's. The 319's were acquired in order to fly to a high altitude airport in China.

Remember, this is the airline industry. Some of what I say here has already happened..................... the other stuff may or may not happen.