PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - paying for flying training
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 16:35
pilotdreams1977

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: paying for flying training

Hi everyone,
i completely agree with those in favour of paying for flight training YOURSELF.

I have met many young aspiring pilots who have had their training financed by their dad and compared to those who have slogged out years to earn the money to pay for the flying, well they just dont have the real fire in the belly.....generally speaking that is.

I remember talking to my CFI years ago asking him what is the hardest thing about getting your CPL. He replied "Making the money to pay for your flight training". When it comes to flying training, the easiest part is the training! The hardest part is
- going to work everyday in job that you might not like
- having to put up with the bosses crap
- having to make financial sacrifices such as not going on holiday or travelling, not buying new car, not going out, choosing between flying training and a downpayment on a new home
- or having to put up with your mothers crap because you cant afford to move out and pay rent.

The actual flying and studying side of it is a piece of cake.

I recently quit my job after 3.5 years saving for my CPL. I wasnt able to fly during that period as I was based away from flying schools. Everyday at work i never lost sight of why I was working and I knew that once I quit I would pursue flying full-time. Once I quit my job I was able to resume flying training and within a month after I quit my job I sat three cyber CPL exams, scoring 100% in one of them and high 90s in others. It only took me around 10 days to study for each exam. I'm not a smart bloke but after slogging it for 3.5 years, it gave greater meaning to my flying training.

So you can see that the journey to the CPL is quite different. For those who had the luxury of their parents paying for their training....well lucky you.....i know you a grateful to your parents.
And for those who paid for it themselves...well to arrive at a CPL totally self funded is an amazing journey and an amazing story that involved pretty much a lot of heartache and MANY sacrifices.