PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fastest of the lot
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 16:30
Footless Halls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fastest of the lot

Well I'm a bit surprised frankly, chaps.
I'm not a huge user of this Forum, but I was expecting all Hell to break loose around my ears when I published data indicating that the fastest piston-engined fighter IN SERVICE during the Second World War was the FW190D, and the fastest piston engined aircraft to FLY during the Second World War was the Spiteful (or Seafang - contra-rotating prop).
As these two questions had always a puzzle to me, and I can't believe I have the final answer(s) now, would anyone who's got any alternative ideas like to post? I'm wondering in particular whether anyone has any views on how accurate my 'Aircraft of the Fighting Powers' data is and whether they have access to more accurate data? For example, do 'Pilots Notes' for these types have accurate power curves which could give better and more directly comparable data? And equally, does anyone have data for some of the types I've missed off, such as the Do335.
I also expected, being a Brit, that my cousins from across the pond would have words to say about the 'Old World' tilt to my data...
Personally, I've always doubted whether the Do335 was actually as much of a rocket-ship as it is reputed to have been, though I recall Pierre Clostermann saying in 'The Big Show' that he bounced one in his Tempest V 'Vieux Charles', only to watch it open up its throttle(s) and draw ahead out of range...
But in the absense of any vociferous opposition, I'll assume that I have settled the issue in favour of Dr. Kurt Tank and Joe Smith..