PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 16:28
747 Downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criminal Conviction A Problem?

Stansdead: I never suggested that somebody should lie on an application form in order to get a job. In fact I have advised people against doing such things: (rounding up hours.. saying they have 14 first time passes when they actually have 13 etc). It is morally wrong and I would hope the airline would find out and dismiss them accordingly (it is too much of a small industry to get black listed).

Thomson and Thomas Cook amongst others do have a section for previous criminal convictions but if you look closely underneath you will see the reference to the 1974 Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

LewisS has no obligation to inform an airline of his past spent conviction(s), if it good enough for the BAA or relevant airport operator then it is good enough for the airline. This is to do with airside safety, not who's been a naughty boy and should be punished for it. Withholding information that has not been questioned is not a lie, it is common sense. Have you never done something bad in your life, or had a poor performance in a given criteria.. you wouldn't just tell the Chief Pilot for the fun of it.. or better still say it in an interview or on an application.

I am merely advising the guy not to shoot himself in the foot.. I don't know why you are so keen for him not to pursue this career when many just like him have gone through the system with no problems. If he had previous for armed robbery or association with terrorist/political groups then clearly an airport operator would deny an airside pass.

The only advocation of lying I gave was for the US embassy and I stick by that.. if I was in that situation I wouldn't bother declaring it to them.. just my opinion.