PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 year break
Thread: 2 year break
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 11:56
knertius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2 year break

Staying "current" can mean a lot of things. In terms of keeping the licence alive I think that that wonīt really be the problem. Itīs the remaining "current on type" thatīs more of a problem. I donīt see the difference between letting my licence lapse for 2 years and then doing a checkride to reactivate it again or flying 2 hours on a C182 every 6 months to keep it alive. After 2 years the licence will be valid again after a checkride and I WON`T be current on either the F100 or the DH8. And if I fly with a C182 every 6 months I will also have a valid licence after 2 years AND about 6 hours on a C182. Surely the 6 hours on a C182 arenīt going to make any difference? Fact is that I wonīt be current on the F100 or the DH8.
And thatīs where my problem lies. Will I find a job based on my experience? Or will I be in the same position as a 200 hour guy? Iīm not expecting to get a direct entry captain position at SAA, but I was rather hoping that a King Air or Twin Otter job or something similar would be something that people would consider me for. Or will I be doing illegal charters around table mountain with a friend of a friend of a friendīs PA28?
Fact is that Iīll be leaving my job next year and that I will be taking those 2 years off because I think itīs the right time to do it. I canīt wait until I retire because who knows what physical condition I will be in then. The current job is letting me save the money to be idle for a good couple of years. And when I get back Iīll be quite happy to drop parachutists from a battered C206 because thatīs also flying and thatīs what I love doing! Amen!