PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 09:30
747 Downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criminal Conviction A Problem?

LewisS: Listen to Scroggs, erchie and Tom24.

To obtain an airside pass (BAA) you need to apply for a basic disclosure (known as Disclosure Scotland). I do not know about MAN as they are independently owned but I am sure they operate similar procedures to BAA airports. Under the 1974 Rehabilitation of Offenders Act your conviction is spent (in my opinion), therefore, it will not show up on your disclosure report.. trust me!!

It is of course the airports final decision as to whether they will grant you an airside pass.. a copy of the disclosure goes to the airline so theoretically you could have an unspent conviction, the airport operator may grant you an airside pass but the airline may see your conviction and wish not to employ you, I am sure this would go into legal complications. Either way this does not apply to you so don't worry.

Ignore Stansdead, he is probably an ex-cop
Do not come clean about it, it is an honourable thing to do but there are too many in this world and it will count against you. The old bill always say oh come clean about.. yeah alright mate!!

There is no problem getting a CPL/ATPL with a spent or unspent conviction.. just the airside pass maybe tricky if a conviction is unspent. You only need a full disclosure if you work with children, applying to the police force or the armed forces. Even then it is not the end of the world. I have heard the armed forces are in particular understanding (honesty does pay with them.. about the only people it does pay with).

Your only issue may be getting into the states.. passports are bi....? I am too stupid to remember the word but they can be read by US immigration on entry. I do not know how it works . As you would be going through as crew I would risk keeping your mouth shut.. you owe them nothing. Outrageous that a country with so many nutters won't allow a UK citizen in with a minor offence (acceptance a possibility after a thorough grilling).. maybe there is just to many psychos in there already

Good luck, don't let it stop you

747 Downwind