PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile/Cellular Device Interference
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2006, 23:39
jesty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mobile/Cellular Device Interference

Does this actually occur? So far, from what I can gather, all that exists is circumstancial/andecdotal evidence of mobile phones and other wireless portable electronic devices causing interference with aircraft systems. No official research has been conducted into the issue, but everyone from the FAA on down has adopted a sort of "could potentially be dangerous, let's ban it outright" stance.

Can anyone shed some light on this - does it happen? which systems in particular are affected by mobile phones or other devices? I was once asked to turn off an mp3 player on a Braathens flight, Norway domestic. I didn't want to make a fuss, so I complied, but it has no radio transmission/reception functionality. In retrospect, it does contain a hard drive that spins at 5,400 rpm, which might generate some EM noise, but if one of those could affect cockpit instrumentation 15m away, why would the same hard drives be fine in normal home computers and laptops, within the confines of the computer chassis?

I'm confused by this entire issue so if anyone knows more, please let me know.