PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Cabin Crew Uniform
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2006, 21:46
Full Emergency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Favourite Cabin Crew Uniform

Originally Posted by SkySista
I don't think a policewoman in a skirt any less authoritative than one in trousers, and not many would say she wasn't wearing a 'proper' uniform...

Is it correct that until recently, female police in the UK weren't allowed to wear trousers?? If so, there must be a reason they changed this..
This is not the case.

Female officers have always been allowed to wear skirts or trousers on duty, although they were encouraged to wear their skirt. That being said wearing skirts is definately a 'generation thing' and only the older female officers will generally wear them.

I will only wear mine if I am based in the station the whole day (in the control room/front office/goaler) as it is practical to do so. If I am on general patrol out-and-about, esp if I am carrying a firearm, the wearing of trousers is manditory for practical reasons, which I agree with. (You can't go running after people and jumping over high fences and over fields wearing a skirt and thin black tights. It just is no longer practical. The tights for a start would end up like fishnets.)

The last time that I wore my police skirt (which is like a tent - long and baggy and just will never fit right ) was today at a full service funeral for an officer who I used to work with. Most of the women there wore their skirts and it looked spot on. This IMHO, is really the only when they should be worn outdoors - on ceremonial duties and the like.

The other problem that I have is that the trousers they issue to women must have been modelled on a short, huge bummed woman, as the seat of the trousers were way too baggy. I have ended up ordering and wearing guys trousers as the cut/fit is far better and more comfortable.

The other major gripe that I have about the police uniform is the uni-sex look to it. The womens shirts are simply guys shirts, with the buttons round the other way. There is no room allocated for the chest area at all, and most forces make their female officers wear ties. Thankfully one one is still sticking to the cravat.

I really envy you girls having to be feminine with your job. Here even things like make-up is a no-no.

What is my favourate airlines uniform?? I would go for either BA or the new BMI (summer) uniform, as Red is so not my colour. Sorry to those who work at VS, it just would never suit me. I also prefer a suit type option, rather than a company like United, where they wear dresses. If I was working for BA, then I would probably wear a skirt more often than not, but would still wear trousers from time to time.

Female CC who wear trousers still look feminine IMHO. I recently saw a Female VS supervisior at LHR check-in wearing red trousers. Never seen that before or since.

FE

ps. Sorry for the long post and if it is slightly off-topic.