PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2006, 18:12
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns

DD - have you ever heard the saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach"? OVERTALK may be an instructor, and I don't wish to malign instructors, but if you start using that Cessna 172 short field landing technique on a big jet you are going to get yourself into a world of trouble and no amount of big words are going to help when you rotate the nose of your 744 off the ground at 80 kts with insufficent rudder authority to steer and no nosewheel steering! You may be able to follow OTs theory but it doesn't mean its right.

Lets look at this statement:
He is evidently advocating progressive introduction of backstick once other retardation devices are in use.
I think that rather neatly sums up whats wrong with the whole idea. ONCE OTHER RETARDATION DEVICES ARE IN USE. If you've got the reversers out, the spoilers up and the autobrakes running then progressive introduction of backstick does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to reduce your landing distance because the autobrakes are aiming for a deceleration rate. The only thing that is going to affect your distance from touchdown is your landing speed and the deceleration rate. If you pull back stick and put a fractional (and it will be fractional) increase in weight on the main gear the autobrakes will simply ease off to achieve the required decelaration.

Tell me, do you really, genuinely believe that in the last 30 years of big jets not one test pilot, engineer or researcher at Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed or Douglas has thought of that idea and considered its application in a jet transport?