PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2006, 15:27
Dagger Dirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about a mess of corrupted Conniption.......

All posters since Skyanin Vannin here are using some really illogical arguments and assertions. Taking a contrary view really requires firstly, an understanding. Secondly you need honest conviction. Thirdly you need a cogent basis upon which to develop a coherent antithetical debate. It's point #3 that is largely lacking, despite those prepared to blandly assert that black is white.
I could easily follow OVERTALK's logic, but the counter-arguments from Bumblebee, Basil, Alf5071h, Skies Full and Hand Solo are just mind-blowingly and meaninglessly autocontrary.
Example:"Using back stick can generate increased wheel force with pitching moment,yes, OK but this would be subject to the same variability of elevator power as forward stick i.e. it depends on the type. Other variables such as c of g, or engine / reverse configuration and their pitching moments also have to be considered."What in Hell is that trying to say?. It sounds like: "Whereas I can accept that water whose temperature is reduced to below 32 degree Fahrenheit will freeze and become ice, surely whether or not it will remain ice will depend upon whether its temperature remains below freezing level" etc etc.In other words lots of repetitive meaningless gibberish, frequently discarding basic aeronautic principles and wandering off or trailing off. I could cite numerous examples in what I've read above. I hope none of you gents are instructors - but I would suspect that OVERTALK is. At least I can follow his theory.
Maybe some lucid thought and developed arguments gents? Eh? Sheer loquacity and self demeaning tech-drivel is neither impressive nor impactful. It certainly ain't convincing, particularly when presented by way of sweeping assertion and non-credible claims. That just lowers the tone of argument and will con only the gullible. Worse still, it will leave those who come here to the Tech Forum to be educated, just misinformed and hopelessly confused. Some of you are actually engineers with pilot quals. Unfortunately many engineers just do not have a great grip on the dynamics of the landing evolution, so I can accept that you are trying to argue honestly against what you believe to be patently false. Unfortunately you haven't succeeded.
I haven't heard anything that would dissuade me from accepting the basic aerodynamic truths of what OVERTALK is saying above. He is evidently advocating progressive introduction of backstick once other retardation devices are in use. Scare-mongering about what might happen when someone instantly hauls back after touchdown is therefore totally unwarranted.
No wonder the whole issue has remained cloudy for years. After reading what's been written above by the named individuals (admittedly some more than others), any eager young pilot would necessarily shy clear of the whole issue and just go away scratching his/her head. I can sense Alf5071h leaping in here and now saying: "that's exactly why we should never stray from the manufacturer's recommendations". Each to his own beliefs on that. However it shouldn't disable lucid argument based upon basic principles. Ominous sweeping statements, anecdotal or otherwise, are always indicative of a weak position and poorly disguised self-doubt.