PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 5th Jan 2006, 12:15
reality check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Type ratings - yes or no?

OK Boys & Girls,

I don't normally get involved in this hot air and Scroggs is correct in all he has said, however, I shall state my informed opinion which does result in getting a good jet job.

Nobody goes into this game to fly a turbo prop or other such junk! and those jobs aint easy to come by anyway. As for being an instructor, forget it unless you want to live in a bed sit eating beaked beans on toast for the next 3 years.

My advice is to by-pass the whole lot, including all the airline HR dept selection `lottery` crap. Budget about 40,000 pounds. It might not cost you that much but be ready to pay for type rating, base check, and line training. 100hrs is the minimum, but 300 plus is better. Within 6-8 months you will be established in the job you set out for, have a decent pay packet and able to sleep at night.

I can assure you that you will not be looked down upon within the industry for doing this, and even if you were, who cares?

You must do whatever is required to get unfrozen with jet hrs. Any other route is a waste of time, effort and earning potential.