PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford (OAT) assessment day - a review
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 22:02
F3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Oxford (OAT) assessment day - a review

I'm glad they're giving people the opportunity to determine their aptitude for the course.
When I attended OATS (1998) me and my dad spoke with a silvery haired chap (Slippery Bob or Forked Tongued Bob or Economical With The Truth Bob, I forget now) who broke the bad news that I may have to put up with flying a turboprop of some type immediately after graduating - but don't worry, you will find yourself in the RHS of a jet a/c very soon after that. If successful at taking this grim disclosure (turbo-prop, how dare they!) without being reduced to a quivering wreck, the only further test was the ability to stump up £500 deposit (turbo-prop! How dare they...Barstewards!) as commitment to to starting the course.
That was the entry procedure and I felt sorry for the people who would burn though 10-15K only to find out they wouldn't make the grade.

I passed my course and thoroughly enjoyed my time at Oxford, although I have yet to secure my first flying job. Even if it means long re-positioning drives, flying bundles of newspapers or operating old equipment, I would love to fly a turbo-prop!!