View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 16:32
egld0624

Trent900 - THINK BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Airports & Ski resorts in Alps

Hi Skybeacon,

"Is Geneva GA friendly, and what resorts are most convenient from there?"

Switzerland is a funny old place and one seriously to consider for GA... Yep there are specific VFR routes into and out of the big airports AND they are incredibly GA friendly despite the level of activity; you'll probably receive recommendations to visit smaller airfields but I wouldn't let that deter you from trying the bigger guns; Sion is an obvious location for Verbier.

Most of the airports that I have flown into in Switzerland have a television touch screen VFR flight planning terminal with current weather info and chart print-off capability… you could only dream of that back home.. So yes GA is welcome.

If you fancy some more interesting VFR routes via the mountains you could try from Geneva/Sion to Locarno/Lugarno to Samedan (Europe's Highest Airport) which opens up the possibility to incorporate all the typical winter Olympic sports at St. Moritz;

Alternative route: is direct from the UK to Zurich or St. Gallen and then onwards to Samedan. If you'd rather go commercial to Zurich and fancy some hands on mountain/canyon flying in an Archer at Samedan PM me and I'd be happy to pass you details. Last season I took some flying friends from Denham via the latter method and organised some Taxi ride Bobsleigh (4-Man), local mountain flying and skiing for a long weekend... the mountains don't just have to be skied!

All VRF routes are clearly described in the Swiss AIP available from Skyguide.

Enjoy & all the best whatever you finally decide.

EG

www.navex.aero