PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA IR Conversion to JAA Multi IR in UK
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 15:23
apruneuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FAA IR Conversion to JAA Multi IR in UK

Turkish

I had a crack at converting my FAA IR last winter with a UK school who shall remain nameless. I was made to feel like a second class citizen because I wasn't "paying my dues" and doing the full course. I received little to no help from the instructor who just sat like a sack of spuds making sarky comments if I made a mistake and took 8 weeks to complete the 15 hours due to a combination of poor weather, the instructor taking a holiday, tech. aircraft and having to wait for exam slots having completed the 170A. A major problem I found was that the school won't book the test until after you pass the 170A which means that at a time of year when the weather is poor you could wait for several weeks before a slot becomes available. In my case I had to wait 2 weeks only to have the test cancelled then another 2 weeks and another cancelled test then a then a booking 2 weeks later. Needless to say I was not up to speed on the day and failed.

I am going to Spain in Feb this year to do the whole 50 hour course in 3 weeks for the same price as the 15 hour conversion is here (I am now out of instrument currency and don't want a repeat of last year's fiasco). The IR is an add-on to the CPL so can be done in any JAA state, something that I wasn't aware of at the time. To pass the IR you really do need to be at the top of your game and unless you get a good run at it you will find it extremely hard. I found the actual format of the exam very similar to the one I took in the States. The main difference is the JAR penchant for NDB work as they are still widely used for holding in Europe.

Finally, I would strongly advise that if you are going to do your conversion in the UK that you only go to a school that is willing to give you the details of a few students who have completed the same course with them, do it in the Summer and don't go to a school with only one IR instructor and one twin! A friend of mine went to Airways at Exeter and had nothing but praise for them.

Sorry, I know you didn't want an essay but the muse took me.