PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 12:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CORK

I don't know if there is less business traffic from the Shannon region. While the overall economy of Cork's catchment area is larger than Shannon's, there is a larger number of US multinationals based in the mid-west.

However, if/when open skies between Europe and the US becomes a reality, I don't know if the standard thinking about business class pax will hold. They used to be the mainstay of European routes; now Europe's most profitable airlines don't offer business class.

That said, I can't see T/A out of Cork before 2008.

I'm not sure there's much sense in planning around a route being flown in a 757. We'll see fewer and fewer of these in the world's skies in the coming decade. It may work as a stopgap, but if the airport's management is serious about attracting T/A traffic, they'll need to plan to accommodate the A350 or B787.

Taking a look at this brochure for the 787; the situation doesn't look too bad for East Coast services in a 787.

http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/...87brochure.pdf

Realistically, a scheduled service to New York or Boston and some charters to Florida are all that is likely to happen.

Last edited by 840; 4th Jan 2006 at 13:28.