PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows XP meltdown
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 12:09
Lee Frost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memory

Many thanks all for the continued help,

The machine started out with just 64MB, so I bought 256MB extra from Offtek.co.uk.

It has been fine, and was recognised as working as recently as the older day on one of my countless Win ME re-installs. My feeling is that the chip is still perfectly serviceable since I have been very careful in its handling.

I just removed it for the clean new install of XP which so far has gone perfectly - happy just to have some feeling of confidence coming back....but it would be nice to get some speed back into the machine (which was why I expanded the memory).

At the moment, with the extra 256MB plugged in, the power up screen just doesn't appear. I just hear a whirl of a fan, then nothing. I have to close the power button for 5sec to force it to shut down.....Remove the extra, and it powers up with no problems.

I know I have to update the modem and video drivers anyway (for XP - as I remember doing this before) and all the hotkey functionality....but I think it might be the BIOS....

I have been to the SONY VAIO website, and there are downloads to adjust the BIOS for my particular model to suit Win XP.

I think I shall start with those. I'll let you know how it goes.

LF
PS: Paco - does this sound correct? I mean the BIOS causing the upset? Thanks for taking the time.