PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM or Jetstar?????
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 07:12
andie74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MAM or Jetstar?????

...Iguanahead, also forgot to ask in my last post, how many working days would you average per week? at 140 hrs, 8-9hr days im guessing maybe 4?

i like the fact theres no overnites! i know its extra $$$ with o/nites but i find it a bit of a pain in the butt being away. id actually prefer only day duties. i'll never be one of those F?A's who want heaps of o/nites for the money. plus when i have kids i'd prefer not to be away all the time too. its all about quality of life for me- a job i can enjoy, with good people, but also allows for quality at home too! sounds like you love it anyway!

what about the pax????? what are they like to deal with considering its a 'leisure' carrier- or whatever they like to call it. do people still have really high expectations and therefore make it frustrating to work with? i know how high Qantas pax expectations are- usually rightly so.

i flew with Jetstar in Sept to Cairns and have to admit the crew (same crew flying up & back 5 days later... is that usual???) were not overly 'happy' looking...no occasional smiling, grumpily asking people to move out of the aisles waiting for the toilet etc, and one so rude to a male pax that i was shocked he didnt tell her off. all except for one Jetstar girl who was exceptionally nice and friendly etc- a real credit. made me wonder if the rest were enjoying the job...... but perhaps it was like anywhere -you get great staff and average staff regardless of who they work for- we just happened to have the exact same crew both times who didnt seem overly enthusiastic about their job. the one friendly girl really stood out, we all (my family & friends in our travel group) noticed her!!

i only bring this up bcos i have had a few Qantas F/A's tell me that they 'know someone' who works for Jetstar and 'apparently they get a lot of crap' from pax....and the implication is that therefore they dont enjoy/like the job that much. I've taken it all with a grain of salt of course, i dont like to go too much on hearsay bcos it leads you down a dangerous track of generalisations- like saying all casuals hate being casuals, or all 'low cost carrier pax are badly behaved and demanding (which we certainly werent on our holiday to Cairns! : )

anyway, thanks again!

andie