PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM or Jetstar?????
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 05:46
andie74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAM or Jetstar?????

anyone got any thoughts on this......either from personal experience or that of a friend???

im a MAM casual and am possibly going to the Jetstar recruitment seminar this week- i havent quite decided yet whether to go or not. im in a bit of a quandry as to whether im better off staying with MAM... OR (if i get the opportunity of course) working for Jetstar????

i love flying, and i've got great friends at Qantas, but the irregularity of our ours from month to month is really starting to get to me after 13 months of flying- i really feel for our friends who have been doing it for over 3 yrs! i do love the flexibility and being able to choose my days off, but as my partner & I would like to buy a home in the next 12mths and have a family in the next
2-3 yrs, im starting to feel like the up & down rollercoaster in the hours is just going to make all of that difficult financially.

In many ways we are almost like part-timers as MAM but without the benefits of actually being part-time, so now i have to admit that i might as well be in a full time job with all the benefits?

Any input on the pros & cons of working for either airline would be good food for thought......ive been mulling it all over in my head and im just making myself more confused!! is it 'better the devil you know", ie. better off staying with MAM/Qantas & ride the roller coaster of hrs from mth to mth - & STILL be expected to work christmas day but basically some mths do pretty well money wise then really bad other mths?

OR

take a chance with an unknown entity and go for Jetstar? i have heard the money with Jetstar isnt great? around $36K which isnt really much for a full time job. i dont know how many hours per mth this is for? BUT perhaps for the sanity of regular hours and pay it isnt so bad!

Any opinions on this?? and i dont mean all the negative political stuff, just looking for some helpful advice from anyone who may have gone from MAM to Jet* or vice versa?

thanks!

andie