PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - paying for flying training
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 05:19
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: paying for flying training

Originally Posted by Keg
So all you guys who go the 'better to pay it yourself' way don't ever think about borrowing money from a bank to buy a house? Debt is a legitimate way of funding spending- as long as it is something that will give you a decent return and herein is the interesting part.

I paid for my PPL and first 100 hours on my own. After that I was lucky enough to get a QF cadetship which required that I fork out $15K (in 1991 dollars). Given that I'd just spent every last cent on those first 100 hours, I certainly didn't have any spare coin for the $15K so I borrowed $12K off the olds. It was paid back within two years of finishing my course (which is also the time frame that I WASN'T employed by QF and was back to doing crappy security work. Should have seen the response from people in GA when they knew you were a QF cadet and were hitting them up for a job! Fair enough I guess!). My point is that borrowing money (and obviously repaying it) isn't necessarily a bad thing.
That's a good story mate, hats off to you Keg, for some strange reason people think it's an easy road to be a cadet. Your story goes to show, that's not necessarily the case!!