PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - paying for flying training
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 23:04
Bob Murphie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: paying for flying training

I think the point I was making got lost somewhere. In 1965 a complete CPL course including all the flying, exams, and whatever cost 2,000 pounds,(or $4,000), which my Parents went guarantor for. All DCA maps and charts except the WAC's were free as were the subscription service. In 1967 a then old C172 cost me $10 per hour solo.

After reaslising I could make more money out of aviation than in, the debt was easily repaid over the following year. By making more outside, I could then afford to fly recreationally which I have done since.

I doubt any young aviation minded pilot could repay what it would cost today in 12 months whether in or out of the industry. Especially in the industry.

Does anybody know how much it would all cost today? It would be interesting to compare.

I admire those who have overcome all the speedbumps put in our way to achieve a goal, but it is important to understand that if you entertain any ideas of reaching that top (probably), 5- 10% forget about becoming wealthy on the way there. I've seen too many fall by the wayside.